The most innovative multi spindle screw machines
LINEA SPINDLE is a new concept of production turning centre with a patented linear mechanism that has already found numerous applications in the production of precision components for various hi-tech sectors, such as the automotive, aerospace, hydraulics and pneumatics industries.
It is a system that manages to combine precision and productivity with flexibility, that is the ability to change the production item piece quickly, thus reducing waste and downtime, in short, a system that fully satisfies the principles of LEAN Manufacturing.
Its monobloc structure incorporates all the work stations, equipment and accessories.
The workstations are arranged in line. This type of architecture guarantees excellent ergonomics and accessibility to all workstations.
Four spindle modules are mounted on tracks and equipped with linear motors and opposing vertical electro-spindles arranged in a line.
All the spindles are of the pick-up type, that is they can move along three independent axes, the X axis with linear motors, and the Z and C axes.
The piece is passed directly from spindle to spindle, guaranteeing extreme precision.
A series of tool holders rigidly fixed to the structure with a Capto system allows for the quick change of tools, which can be prepared away from the machine. This system guarantees both maximum clamping rigidity, and minimum replacement time.
With the main processes being turning, LINEA SPINDLE is ideal for machining axial symmetrical pieces, but it can also be used to perform accessory machining on a fixed piece, such as transverse boring or simple or 2 or 3-axis interpolated milling. This is made possible with additional live tool units on independent Y axes and C-axis spindles.
An integrated electronic tool wear and breakage control system guarantees quality unmanned production.
The system is fully automated and equipped with:
- Feeding systems for raw pieces, which can be made up of solid bar, moulded, cast or sintered pieces.
- Automatic piece unloading onto conveyor belts or automatic systems for palletizing finished pieces.
A tool emulsifiable or neat oil lubrication system with high pressure pumps, and passage of the coolant directly inside the tools and inside the spindles themselves.
But what are the most important Linea Spindle multi spindle features for lean production?
- Thanks to two, independent feeding systems and the complete autonomy of the 4 spindles, two different pieces, or two identical pieces, can be processed simultaneously.
- It is possible to tool one side of the Linea Spindle with two spindles, while the other side continues to produce. It is, therefore, not necessary to completely stop the machine in order to retool for a new production series, or more simply, to replace a tool.
- Each spindle can be programmed independently, with machining speed optimized for each individual operation, and not tied to the other spindles.
- Linea Spindle can be tooled for the machining of bar or cast pieces, and for the processing of bar and cast blank pieces at the same time.
- Quick tooling facilitated, first of all, by the ergonomics of Linea Spindle, with an architecture of vertical spindles arranged in line, and tool holders fixed to the structure equally in line, allowing the operator unrivalled ease-of-access throughout the tooling process.
- All tools are preset outside the machine and assembled on the tool holder with rapid change and with the CAPTO system.
Note that each tool works with a single spindle. Tool changing and setting is much faster than with a traditional multi spindle. In the latter case, every single tool affects the rest of the spindles. Thus, for a traditional multi spindle with rotary table (or transfer machine with rotary table), the change of one tool requires all pieces produced by all spindles to be checked, which requires a lot more time than with Linea Spindle.
- The division of Linea Spindle into two completely autonomous and independent work areas provides for a unique and extremely efficient retooling procedure, allowing retooling of the machine without stopping the production cycle.
These features guarantee an extremely reduced SET-UP TIME, in the order of 15 minutes per production change.
A reduced set-up time is critical in guaranteeing cost-effective production even for small series of just a few thousand pieces.
CUTTING OF TIME AND MATERIAL WASTE
- Chip-to-chip times are reduced to 0.2-0.3 seconds, thanks to tools rigidly fixed to the structure and linear motors. The latter allow rapid movements up to 90 m/min, thus guaranteeing a reduction in dead time for loading and unloading pieces and the chip-to-chip time from the use of one tool to the next.
- No time is lost for bar changes
- The absence of long rotating bars means there can be higher cutting speeds, therefore reduced tool contact time and increased tool life under optimized parameters
- The vertically arranged linear architecture also guarantees better chip evacuation, especially for the long chips created by lead-free brass materials and cold forged steels.
- Programming is guided by a simple and intuitive user interface, specially developed by SALA to drastically reduce the programming time for new pieces.
- With the traditional multi spindle, the end part of the bar must be disposed of. Instead, with Linea Spindle, the bar is entirely worked without wasting any material.
- The possibility of working not only with bar pieces, but also moulded and cast pieces, allows for a reduction in material and time wasting: In fact, working on the blank that already has a shape closer to the finished piece, less material needs to be removed, meaning less material and time wasting, significantly reducing the cycle time. Less removal means less tool wear and consumption. The tools are also another reason for reduced general production costs. Those used by Linea Spindle are mainly standard turning tools and not special tools, implying another reduction in terms of the cost of tools necessary for the performance of the work cycle.